I got a big surprise a little while ago, when my blog was nominated for the Liebster Award by Vagabond Velda. I’m really thrilled that she considered my blog.
The Liebster Award is community-based, and qualifying blogs must have fewer than 300 followers. It’s a great way to discover new blogs and bring them to the attention of your readership and the Blogosphere.
Once nominated, you answer 11 questions about yourself or your blog, then give 11 random facts about yourself. The next step is to nominate 11 more qualifying bloggers for the award and create 11 questions for them to answer. Then you must visit each blog you’ve nominated and inform him/her about the award.
So here are the 11 questions from Vagabon Velda, along with my answers:
1. What is the best time of day for you? Probably around 4 PM. I’m fully awake by then and have gotten all my chores out the way.
2. Of everything on this planet what drives you bonkers? Cruelty. And willful stupidity: take climate change, for example. So many say “I’m not a scientist … “, yet refuse to listen to what the scientists have to say.
3. What is your favorite pastime? Aside from writing, singing
4. Are you living your dream, what is it? My dream is writing (so yes) and getting published (not yet)
5. Make a list of inspirational moments? I think my biggest inspiration was my maternal grandfather. He was stricken with emphysema in his 40s, spent the last 20 years of his life confined to bed, but seldom complained and never stopped learning.
6. What is your favorite color? Aubergine (deep plum purple, aka eggplant). Not only love the color but the name of it as well.
7. Are you city, country or a suburb type of person? I’m a country girl at heart, but the seashore calls as well.
8. Indoors or Outdoors? Outdoors, though with my Irish heritage, I have to be very careful about the sun.
9. If you were an animal what would you be and why? A big cat: tiger/leopard/jaguar. I just love their playfulness and that big purrrrrrrrr …
10. Tell me one thing that you love about yourself? Honesty.
11. Why do you blog? Two reasons: to bring to light some of the world’s forgotten history and music, and to introduce people to the manuscripts I’m writing.
Moving on to 11 Random facts about me:
1. I often get correspondence addressed to “Mr.” MacShane, or even “Mr. Gifford”.
2. I have fibromyalgia (and it’s a real bitch! Don’t believe everything they say about the drugs.)
3. I have a fish tank full of Fancy Guppies.
4. My husband is the Pied Piper of stray cats, and at any given time, we’ll have up to a dozen rescues and fosters. I named one of my cats Potiphar.
5. I started my creative writing journey in 4th grade by writing stories about TV characters.
6. I’ve been a New York Yankees fan since I was 6 years old, know some pretty obscure baseball rules, but can’t name more than a handful of active players who aren’t Yankees.
7. I like poetry and the Oxford comma.
8. I won’t eat mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, onions, or anything spicy. I didn’t eat a pizza until I was 24 years old. (And yes, I was born in America.)
9. I grow my own tomatoes organically.
10. I dream often and in vivid technicolor.
11. It angers me when people who profess to be Christian say they don’t want their tax money to pay for programs for the disadvantaged.
And these are the people I’m nominating, each of whom has inspired me in one way or another:
6. Jaded Pages
7. Smart Mouth
10. Simply Silent
Finally, the eleven questions for my nominees to answer:
1. Are you a dog-, cat-, or fish-person?
2. What’s the weirdest name you ever gave a pet?
3. If you could live anywhere on earth, where would it be?
4. Which season do you like best and why?
5. Do you prefer shoes, boots, or walking barefoot?
6. What’s the most romantic thing you ever did for someone or they ever did for you?
7. What’s your favorite book?
8. If you had to give up one food that you really like, which one would it be?
9. What currently-living person do you admire most and why?
10. Can you sum up your character in three words or less?
11. And just for fun: The New York Yankees were the first pro sports team to assign PERMANENT numbers to its team members‘ jerseys. How many retired numbers do the New York Yankees as of today? (Note: it will probably change before the end of the year!)
Best wishes to all of you!